Mixed feelings so far (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 12:41 (1164 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The new Battlegrounds activity is... fine, I guess. But boy does it feel like a misuse of resources in a way. After completing the intro quest (which involves running a couple Battleground activities), I jumped into a fireteam with a couple clan mates who had started playing about an hour earlier than me, and they both commented on how sick of the battlegrounds they already were. Later that night, I was playing with Korny and Claude, and they too both commented on how uninterested they were on doing more of this activity. It’s the first day, and this activity is already feeling worn out after a handful of completions. I think it’s fine as a little diversion to jump into on occasion with friends, but as the primary activity of the season it really falls flat IMO. There just isn’t enough to it.

That’s been the case since day one with the seasonal model. Vex Offensive was boring after three runs. So was the Sundial. I’m not sure I even did three runs of Warmind basketball. The Public Event from two seasons ago was surprisingly fun, but that might just be because it had been like six months since I’d really played Destiny at that point. The Wrathborn Hunts were boring the first time, I can’t even imagine playing enough to do all those Triumphs.

Even going back to Black Armory or Menagerie . . . they’re miles better than the current offerings, but even they’re not strong enough to base an entire season around.

I would like to interject that the Sundial was very underrated. Not as solid as Menagerie, but I do recall having a real blast with it. Note here too that both modes were 6 man activities.

I saw a thread on twitter the other day. One of the UI guys at Bungie said he thought it was funny that he keeps seeing people online theorizing that the game is being supported by a skeleton crew because there’s more people on it now than there has been for a long time. I was confused, because he said that proudly, whereas it actually seems like that would be fucking embarrassing, given the state of the game. For me, it encapsulated the entire relationship between Bungie, the game, and the players. It feels like they fundamentally misunderstand just about everything about the game they’re making and what the players of that game actually want.

I would like to see that thread. As based on your description it's alarmingly (but indeed not surprisingly) blind. It's like... why are all these people claiming the earth is round? It's so funny, look at that horizon, it's so obviously flat.

Granted, the folks online theorizing that the game is being supported by a skeleton crew might not be the most business minded in their observations but I guess we're all fools at something. All in all a rather sad disconnect if as stated.

Anyway, sorry for coming in here and taking a big dump. A new season is usually enough to get me to at least jump back on and see what’s new. Instead I uninstalled the game when I realized I was looking at weeks of playing the same old shit so I could level up enough to maybe do whatever cool new mission they might drop later in the season. It’s a bummer to not want to play Destiny, but I’m just so tired of not actually being able to play the game in a way that’s enjoyable.

So my thought on the new season is that Apex Legends sure is fun!

I recently found myself playing Titanfall 2 again. Not sure how, but their "Frontier Defense" mode is so much fun. Like lose track of time, oh-crap-how-it-suddenly-2am-fun. And I don't know how, when I've played this thing over and over again how it keeps it's fun factor the same as it was the first time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread