Mixed feelings so far (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 17:22 (1169 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So, I don't disagree about how Bungie seems to misapprehend where a lot of their dedicated players are coming from and what they want.

I, too, have found myself playing A LOT of Titanfall 2 in the last month or so. There's something about that sandbox, the way that things are balanced, the nuance at play, even though it's in a static state. Something in the way the game feels doesn't really need anything to change. And I wish I could say that it shows that Bungie still understands or prioritizes those things, but...well.

Destiny feels like it's in kind of a precarious place. Stasis continues to be a massive thorn in the side of my experience. It's infuriating to play against, and it's never particularly satisfying for me to use. Sure, I enjoy punching the crystals that I create, because who doesn't love ridiculous amounts of AoE damage? But truly, I don't have much fun with it. And it kills any kind of PvP encounters that include it. There is a mountain of tweaking to be done to get the game back to any feeling of balance, and I still fear that the very nature of Stasis is going to keep the game from being more frustrating than it needs to be.

All that aside, a word about activities. I do miss the Forges; and I'm still skeptical of most of the seasonal events. I had fun with the Vex incursions, the Sundial, and with Warmind basketball; but the recipe that's trying to be arrived at still needs something. I never really got tired of the Contact public events, but there just needed to be more of an element of randomization to them. I don't think I've been on more than 6 Wrathborn hunts, total; and I'm a bit concerned that Battlegrounds are going to turn out the same way for me. I understand different encounters are coming in the future; but running Nessus and Europa versions endlessly is going to tire me out before we get there.

I'll say again that the new weapons on offer are all (for the most part) refreshing and fun to use. I picked up my Salvager's Salvo today and I can say with confidence that I'm probably going to be running a grenades-and-grenade-launchers build for the season on my Titan. The custom I've arrived at with each season is basically to pick a new look and build and run with that for the duration; an across three characters, I don't feel like I've gotten tired of it yet. That said, the notion that there is so much to do, but less of it appealing still rings true.

We desperately need at least two new Gambit maps. We desperately need at least two new Crucible maps. More than new maps though, Crucible needs new gametypes. Seasonal events are great and all; but there's got to be more to the two modes that encourage the player base to compete with each other.

I've got mixed feelings about being granted new Fragments for Stasis while the other subclasses seem to pale in comparison, but I'll save that for another thread.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread