Ok. Fine. Sh*t. I'll bite. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 15:18 (815 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 15:24

But you're in the WORLD Cody, and it seems like you didn't even play in it.

I played. I found many things. More than most people apparently. But when the characters don't seem to care, why would I? There are no emotional stakes. Every game creates a world, just like every film or book. What's the difference between Fantastic Beasts and Harry potter? Same world right? So why was one of them so insufferably dull?

A world is not enough. It needs emotional richness. And Control was emotionally impoverished.

Why does it need to be a new invention? Can't it just be something well done, executed with and often far-too-fleeting "folks being good at their job"? Do not besmirch the flowers, and their scent, simply because you've smelled it before.

By this logic, I should be fine playing 2D platformers until the end of time. They are better than they ever have been objectively. If you believed that you'd be playing the same games over and over. But you, and others don't. We as humans crave new experiences, new novelties, and new challenges.

Human experience is relative. While 2D platformers are at their best absolutely, does a new one today FEEL like it did to play Mario 3? No. Because the improvements are incremental, and your knowledge largely carries over. Halo wasn't Halo because it only felt a little better than Goldeneye.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread