Story Collectibles & Method (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, January 30, 2022, 18:31 (816 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I couldn’t agree more.

That memo at the beginning sets the tone for the entire game, and does so more effectively than any cutscene or conversation I can imagine taking its place.

A memo I missed because standing somewhere and holding square for a hundred different pieces of paper is lame. There's a bunch of better ways to do this not involving collectables.

It's not just a nitpick. It goes to the heart of immersion and storytelling in games. The intersection of story and game should not feel like a stupid chore.

The concept of "immersion" in video games and what that even means is hotly debated. No game is fully immersive because that's rarely fun. Concessions will always be made to improve the experience and/or due to priorities in dev time and resources.

Perhaps it could've been done "better" in a way that would make everyone happier but it's not something that bothered anyone I've spoken to about this game other than you, so it's clearly not a universal sentiment.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread