Story Collectibles & Method (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, January 29, 2022, 15:48 (818 days ago) @ ZackDark

Control almost had this. When you interact with the puzzle locks, the camera moves in for you to manipulate the cube. That system could have had Jessie pick up a memo, and zoom in on it as you look at the actual text on the paper.

I get it now. I agree with your point, but not your emotional conclusion. It feels inconsequential to me that we get an overlay as opposed to a zoom in and I'm sure it would take massive dev resources to get it just right, compared to the benefits, as I see it. I think I unconsciously abstract it away as the same thing.

Yeah, I can see your (I'm speaking to Cody throughout) point as to how that'd be better for "immersion," but it must also be noted that games are complex pieces of software on tight deadlines and budgets. Priorities mean concessions have to be made.

Hell, every game that has an inventory window has already failed your criteria. Here's a hyperbolic example to illustrate my point: is there any game out there that has you pull open your sack, riffle through it to find every item you want, pull it out, toss it, equip it, etc.? That'd be neat, but it'd also be tedious.

Elements of games are streamlined and abstracted not just for the developers' sake but for the player's sake. Most players do not care whatsoever that this information isn't presented in the physical play space. Implementing it would've been extra work for very little return. There are plenty of aspects of games that could theoretically be enhanced by implementing details like this, but they're not always practical to create or to even utilize.

The verb here is "the seeking and collection of information," not, "the real-time handling and observation of information." The latter is a layer of presentational polish on top of the former, a practical verb.

I feel like your observation here is the nitpick of nitpicks and, as justification for:

There is lore… tons of it I'm sure. But in the most boring format. Collectables. Audio logs. I just can't. Who wants to chase down this shit when you could tell the story with sound and picture?

I'm sorry, it feels a bit contrived.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread