Story Collectibles & Method (Gaming)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, January 29, 2022, 15:25 (817 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's why solving a puzzle in the original Portal made you feel like you made a solution, versus solving a puzzle in an adventure game where you felt like you found the solution.

You lost me there. Maybe I'm too far gone in the "meta" of puzzle games, but there were definitely quite a few puzzles where I felt constrained by 'the one solution'.

Control almost had this. When you interact with the puzzle locks, the camera moves in for you to manipulate the cube. That system could have had Jessie pick up a memo, and zoom in on it as you look at the actual text on the paper.

I get it now. I agree with your point, but not your emotional conclusion. It feels inconsequential to me that we get an overlay as opposed to a zoom in and I'm sure it would take massive dev resources to get it just right, compared to the benefits, as I see it. I think I unconsciously abstract it away as the same thing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread