Ok. Fine. Sh*t. I'll bite. (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 11:03 (818 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think everyone has different degrees of what aspects of games matter to them. Just because you believe games should be a certain way doesn't mean they need to be in order to be enjoyable. You may not enjoy them if they don't meet those standards, but plenty of us don't need them to meet those standards to love the game.

Nah man of course. Tons of people loved the game, clearly. But you know what? Sometimes I really like reading from folks who don't like a game I love, or from people who love a game I dislike. Often, it's really valuable to see how they see things differently, and sometimes their insight can better inform you or open you up going forward.

If you loved Control, I'm not, nor would I ever, take that away from you.

Oh for sure, I agree with you on that, it's just your closing statement presents a bit of a false dichotomy. lol

I see and appreciate the artistry that's there,. but so much of the experience in playing control was standard and familiar. And yet so highly praised. Am I out of touch? Or are the kids wrong?

For the record, I get the reference, it's just very irrelevant in this scenario.

There was enough that was non-standard, in such extremely non-standard ways, that appealed to me as an individual, that the areas it did not excel were, at minimum, tolerable. You're not out of touch, the kids aren't wrong, it's just that what the title focused on was extremely appealing to others and not so much to you.

To me, it was developed without worrying that it'd end up a niche title (that's Remedy for you, I guess XD) that managed to break out of the bounds of that niche more than one might expect. I think with more design iteration it could break out beyond that niche even more.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread