Damage Mechanics (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 09:46 (3792 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think you see reluctance where none exists. An information release timetable, sure, but reluctance? I say they do want to tell us how damage works, they just don't want to tell us right now.

You did read Deej's comments in the most recent weekly update, right? Why even address the question if only to be evasive?

How do you contrast your impression of reluctance with Bungie saying that both they and their gameplay testers are having a blast playing Destiny? And how do you reconcile it with Bungie's decade long string of successful shooters?

Easily: you're talking about subjective enjoyment. I'm asking about objective mechanics, which inform player tastes. They're not mutually exclusive.

And yet despite its arrogance Apple is only one of the most successful businesses ever, of all time.

Past success does not guarantee future success.

The same can and should be said about the way Bungie does things.

Past success does not guarantee future success. ;-)

But do you believe that will continue all the way to the beta? I don't. I see them releasing new info about gameplay on a steady basis. They've talked about weapon ammo and map control, they've talked about focuses and lasting decisions. They've talked about weapon skill trees. Just recently they talked some about armor and health giving specific examples how class abilities would affect your durability.

They've talked about thiese things, but the overall picture still seems muddy. Perhaps that'll change in the coming months. Maybe feedback like mine might spur them to approach it differently? That's my hope.

Bungie is not being silent on gameplay or story like Apple is completely mute on future products. They are giving us info and will continue to do so. I don't see you so much as being impatient (though that is likely mixed in a bit) as I see you looking for reasons to indirectly claim that Destiny's core gameplay will be fundamentally flawed unless they change their way of doing things and tell us more right now.

I'm not looking for reasons to claim anything: I simply haven't got enough evidence upon which to make such claims. But that door swings both ways - it's hard to be honestly excited about a game which Bungie won't tell us about. Right now I feel like my enthusiasm has nearly dried up, but that's secondary to this nagging feeling that Bungie is being bizarrely tight-lipped about fundamental game mechanics which really ought to be front and centre to their promotion of a new game franchise.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread