Damage Mechanics (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 12:37 (3791 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I just don't get it, kapowaz.

The important thing is how it plays, no? We've got a beta coming.

What benefit would be gained by Bungie talking about aspects of the game as if they are fact with people who haven't played the game--especially since whatever is true today might not be true tomorrow? They have a small army of testers to talk with. Why would we know more than they do?

And I won't even go into the statements you make about what their silence portends.

I'm with you, Kerm.

It's like hearing about a painter's latest masterpiece, and hollering about why they haven't released the molecular breakdown of the materials they're using.

Forests and trees, constants and variables.

I'm all about appreciating the community, fans, paying customers that allow them to do what they do, etc., and the two-way relationship that requires. Yet, in the artistic realm there's much to be said for doing the work that you want to do, and there's lots to be said for not doing the work only because others want you to. The formula goes like this: make something that is meaningful to you [substitute "fun" or some other positive quality] and other people will like it, too. Yes, there's economics to consider, but gosh, Bungie has earned some artistic freedom. From my perspective, they're earned my trust. Call me a sycophant. Actually, don't. That's offensive. Screw that noise.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread