On firing cones... (Destiny)

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 23:46 (3791 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

From memory, Bungie has used:

• Pinpoint accuracy,
  • Random Distributions,
  • Normal Distributions,
  • Donut distributions (not joking),
  • Recoil-dependent distributions.

... all in the same game.

So asking which one they are using is like asking if their game is going to use shotguns or assault rifles.

Is this Reach? Can you match weapon names to these (especially the doughnut distribution)? Thanks!

It's likely Halo 2 as it was to my knowledge the only one that had donut spread.

Sniper weapons have always used pinpoint accuracy (i.e., no spread), with the sniper rifle in Halo 1 being an exception when it's fired unzoomed. The Halo 1 plasma pistol also has zero spread.

The shotgun in Halo 3 is definitely a randomly-distributed weapon, but I'm not certain which ones in Halo 2 are.

The AR, plasma rifle, and shotgun in Halo 1 had normal distributions, but I'm again unsure which weapon(s) in Halo 2 had it.

The Halo 2 shotgun had donut spread. The best way to see this is to load up Beaver Creek and fire at the same spot in the side of one of the bases from about 15 or 20 meters away (bullet hole decals show up really well on the bases). You'll notice a big empty spot in the middle of the distribution.

The Halo 2 SMG had both recoil-dependent and donut distribution. By using short-controlled bursts (quick taps of the trigger that fire 1-3 rounds) you can draw a ring on any surface where bullet holes show up well, and by holding down the trigger you get prodigious recoil that even a mighty Spartan II cannot control it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread