Damage Mechanics (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 09:46 (3792 days ago) @ kapowaz

What FPS games usually talk about this stuff ahead of time? This is a strange idea to me since most FPS games just show you gameplay and say "See this is how it plays." I have never seen (obviously not meaning it doesn't exist) a company say "here is how our gunplay mechanics work!" For the most part we can extrapolate some of your questions from the gameplay trailers we already have. For example skill will absolutely play a major role in gameplay as we can see the Warlock in the E3 gameplay trailer killing anything less than a captain with a single headshot. And that was with a non-exotic weapon, with a character who was not a very high level. We also get to see a non-exotic pulse rifle in action, and an exotic HMG in action.

As far as getting more granular than that, Bungie rarely has. Go back and look at Halo 1 before it came out. No discussion at all. The discussions since then have all been about the adjustments they have made to weapons you love or showing how weapons fit into the already known lineup. I really am not expecting them to talk much about how the guns actually play until a couple of months before the beta at the earliest. Yes input from us is useful, but that doesn't mean they have to involve us in every step of the process. Would we appreciate it? Sure. But they've also been making First Person Shooters for 22 years. And in addition to all that, I think this forum alone, as well as the rest of the Internet, proves that giving details can prove troublesome without the whole picture. If I were making a game I would not want people to hear about the gunplay until it was at least close to the time to play it. I could read the stats of a gun and say "man that gun sounds AWFUL" and then use it and love it or vice versa (which happens to me a lot in the Borderlands games). I'm not saying I would mind them giving me the information BUT it doesn't cause me to worry that they haven't.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread