Damage Mechanics (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 12:02 (3792 days ago) @ kapowaz

If I had to take a guess, based on Bungie's insistence that it will "feel" like a Bungie shooter and the (admittedly vague) assertions that player skill will still factor in, I'd say it's very likely to be normal distribution. I also think it looks that way from the brief glimpses of gunplay shown in trailers and such. Just what I think, but it's not a completely uninformed opinion. I guess up until you asked, I'd just assumed the firing mechanics would be very similar to Halo's. I sure hope they are, anyway - Planetside's solution sounds like it would be frustrating for someone accustomed to other FPS games. I get why they did it that way, I just don't think I'd personally enjoy it in an FPS. I often find myself getting angry with any game where I can lose due to simple randomness. Difficulty is great, but when it comes simply from the whims of fate it can feel cheap.

I know that really doesn't address your concerns about Bungie's openness at all, but I think the question about firing mechanics is interesting, and it's all I have to offer at the moment. Truth is, I have no idea why they haven't specified this already, but on the other hand I didn't really expect them to - I hadn't even considered it until you brought it up.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread