Oh please let this be April Fools Day +10 (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 08:44 (3635 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think you are right. I've been saying since ODST that Bungie had irreparably changed as a studio, and I started to feel it after Halo 3 but not as strongly. That argument was always dismissed. Even when Matt left. Even when Alex left. Even when Marcus left. Even when Joe left. Even when Jamie left.

I think now it's just at the point where it cannot be ignored anymore.

Except that there's more than one way to interpret this thread of events.

Your feelings, which I'm not saying are not valid from your perspective, seem to align with the Bungie games you have a lower opinion of, if I'm not mistaken.

I think it makes a sort of sense then that many of the people who were enjoying the games that you disliked (Halo 3 and ODST are my favorites, for example) were probably the ones most active in a fan forum at the time, and probably couldn't find your comments relatable, because to them, Bungie was on top of their game.

Now your outlook is using these departures as a sign of what went wrong with the games you disliked, and this latest incident now serves as a concrete seal of approval.

I'm not saying this is wrong, but other folks with different outlooks and opinions have probably colored these events differently, with this latest departure being quite a shock, since it is a circumstance different from the rest, and they likely do not see it as proof that Bungie has been slowly dying since Halo 2.

The truth though, I think, is that none of us really know what we're talking about, in terms of Bungie's inner-workings and culture, except those who were there, inside, first-hand.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread