Oh please let this be April Fools Day +10 (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 09:07 (3653 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 09:28

Times change.

Bungie isn't the small indi studio it was in the 90's. It's a full blown company. It's grown. People got scared when Microsoft got involved, and it turned out to be a good thing. Time will tell if it remains a good thing.

It's too early to tell with the current parties involved.

On HBO, I'm probably seen by some as a rose colored glasses guy these days- I'm not. I just choose to be positive because it's too easy to be negative.

So on one point, I agree with Levi.

But I also agree with Kap on some points too, which is why I don't frequent DBO much at present.

But this is big news today.

News of this nature was sure to elicit an emotional response, both from the "Bungie can do no wrong" crowd and the "You've changed, man!\things ain't as good as they used to be" crowd.

The key, will be keeping to the middle and wading through the hype, as it always should be.

I've been reading "Bungie has gone to pot" posts since the Marathon 2 days, when Bungie released a Windows version. And there's a big difference in believing Bungie can do no wrong, and believing that Bungie can and will do something great and not buying into cynicism. Every Bungie game has been better than the last in some significant way. From that perspective I remain hopeful, but that belief has depended on a few constants. Today one of those constants has been removed, so I'm upset, as is everyone else. It's a setback, though, and doesn't have to be perceived as a nail in a coffin. There are some who seem to enjoy undercutting others' enthusiasm. I find it tempting with the present state of the Halo franchise myself. It's not constructive. This is a little different. No one here has seen seen what the present incarnation of Bungie can do. There's no harm is hoping for the best. This forum is in place for us to share our hopes and our fears. I have no problem with that. What I don't enjoy is the glee I see some seem to take in pissing in others' cornflakes. See, I'm right, you're wrong--that kind of crap.

EDIT: Okay, I won't say ONI was better than the Myth or Marathon series, but it did have a fantastic gameplay mechanic (think Arkham Asylum nine years earlier).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread