Quantity has a quality all of its own, comrade.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, March 29, 2013, 06:28 (4044 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Am I the only one around here wondering why, with all the other engines that were shown that completely outclass what we've seen of destiny so far, Bungie still insists on going with their own engine and not licensing? Say what you will about Bungie but their engine tech has always been middle of the road compared to other contemporary games.

I doubt that a licensed engine would suit Destiny's intention of an open, shared, and persistant world. Unreal Engine, for instance, gets a lot more detail but does so by sacrificing scope; maps in Gears of War were more detailed but immensely smaller than their equivalents in Halo. Gamebryo could handle the scale (if you don't mind details fading in from time to time) but I'm not impressed with how it handles character animation myself. I haven't seen much in Frostbite and so will reserve comment.

Also, there are certain business advantages to building your own engine... the pathelogical case being that Silicon Knights vs. Epic brouhaha a few years ago.

-- Steve's fairly confident in the abilities of Bungie's software engineers; they've been walking this tightrope for a couple decades now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread