Am I the only one around here

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 10:57 (4043 days ago) @ Lurono

That last bit there...

I'm not entirely sure you should worry that much. I think godrays might fit well with the universe Bungie is trying to create. Do they fit well in Halo? Debatable. Could they fit well in a mythic-sci-fi feel that they are trying to create? Possibly.

There's always personal preference, of course, but from what I've seen, I think it works.

I hope.

The thing with screen-space godrays is that they've started to become the next bloom. They're a cheap way of hazing over lack of detail for a more "polished" look, and can similarly easily become obnoxious. It's hard to use them as really good sunbeams because they swim around unnaturally due to how their sources are occluded (a sunbeam shouldn't vanish when its source is blocked from your vision), and they're not exactly lens flares because, well, they don't look like lens flares. They're just these weird hazes that swim around your view.

It's absolutely true that they can be used effectively, though. And I'd be more inclined to trust Bungie than most developers with stuff like this. I'm just going to have to see it and feel it in action before I'm sold.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread