Am I the only one around here

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 29, 2013, 13:50 (4038 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

To me, better graphics have never made the difference between a good game and great game.

Would you have played (and enjoyed) Limbo if it looked like space invaders?

You're twisting their words there, though. Jumping between the graphics in Limbo and Space Invaders in pretty extreme, cross generational, and largely irrelevant?

That's not the point. The point is that so many people responded positively to the atmosphere of Limbo. Narcogen and JIllybean even say that's one of the big reasons they love the game. If the graphics in Limbo had not been able to do that, then I don't think anybody would have paid it much attention. Limbo is an example of graphics making the game significantly better.

The graphics are the primary way you respond to a game. As such, their quality and art direction has a huge impact on how you perceive the game. As you point out, yes you have to have graphics appropriate to your game, but can you imagine making limbo on the NES? Would it have the impact it had? Nope. It would have just been a dull platformer that would have been instantly forgotten.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread