Speculation Update Time!

by Quirel, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 08:28 (4037 days ago) @ Xenos

I disagree with the idea that you can't have both personally.

I disagree as well. I'm just saying that fantasy with technology is fantasy. Terry Brook's books, despite being set in the distant future of a nuclear holocaust, are fantasy. World of WarCraft, despite the gnome-built machines, is pure fantasy.

The other way around: The Engineer Trilogy takes place in a constructed world with a medieval setting. There is no magic, only briefly mentioned myths. There is no high technology, nothing more complicated than a simple clockwork doll.
That is science fiction.

Having extrapolation of current technology can be done while also having magic.

I can think of two examples.

StarCraft started out as science fiction with psionics. As psionics and prophecies rose to the fore, StarCraft has fallen into fantasy.

Mass Effect has biotics filling the role usually occupied by mages. Biotics, however, is 'unobtainium.' The writers sat down, thought of what they needed eezo to do, and mapped out how it would affect the setting.

Some people do the same thing with magic systems, crafting entire rulebooks governing how magic works. Partly, I think this is missing the point of magic. Partly, I think this is a little overdone. But mostly, I'm tired of seeing some of my fellow writers spend more time crafting those rulebooks than fleshing out their characters.

I mean, yeah, that system you worked out for how the lunar phases govern the strength and flavor of magic is pretty neat. But your protagonist is still an unlikable pratt.

From what you said it seems you are saying that fantasy overrules science fiction. "Oh there is magic, therefore it is fantasy never mind the science fiction elements."

Good to know that I'm communicating effectively.
I did mention that there was no clear border between the two. I'm just rejecting the argument that technology exclusively makes science fiction.

If that is true than quite a few of Isaac Asimov's stories crossed over into the realm of fantasy instead of science fiction.

So? C.S. Lewis wrote science fiction as well.

Why is fantasy the "stronger" genre? Why does it have to be one or the other? What's wrong with saying it is "Science Fiction with some Fantasy elements?"

Because I don't think "Machines = Science Fiction, Dwarves = Fantasy" is a good way to sort my bookshelf. =D

And as Arthur C. Clarke said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

"Of course technology is distinguishable from magic. Technology works!"

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread