Am I the only one around here

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Friday, March 29, 2013, 12:48 (4045 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To me, better graphics have never made the difference between a good game and great game.

Would you have played (and enjoyed) Limbo if it looked like space invaders?

You're twisting their words there, though. Jumping between the graphics in Limbo and Space Invaders in pretty extreme, cross generational, and largely irrelevant?

But I'll bite ;D

The graphics of Limbo are perfect for what it is - for the style of gameplay and narrative it's presenting. If we were to apply Limbo's direction to many other titles, it would not bode well. The developers had certain goals in mind, and the engine was of course constructed to achieve those goals in the best way they could.

Let's apply this to Destiny.

If Bungie were to try and construct their large, shared, ever changing and persistent multiplayer world - something with great emphasis on the scale and continuous player activity, I don't think a game engine designed for relatively compact (though stunning!) game space will cut it. It's not a game about small competitive multiplayer maps or linear campaign corridor design.

Bungie has traded off top of the range next gen visuals for scope. They want scale. They want networking magic. They want players seamlessly stumbling into one another. It's one of the choices developers have to make - choosing how much power to point where. IF they pumped up the visuals, the scope that Bungie speaks so enthusiastically of would no doubt have to be reeled in, undoing their vision.

That's exactly why they'd construct their own engine. They have a unique task at hand, and have the ability to create the means to reach it. Why pay a ton of cash for something that will inevitably be altered to the point of beyond recognition?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread