Speculation Update Time!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 09:23 (4045 days ago) @ Quirel

I think this discussion is interesting. I'm really intrigued by the historical setting that the Destiny universe takes place in, though. Instead of placing us in a period concurrent with the height of humanity's technological achievement as so often occurs in scifi, we're introduced to the world at a point far later when much of that knowledge has probably been lost to the ages. Humanity has come to the brink of collapse and subsequently recovered following a devastating catastrophe, but even that is ancient history. What remains of our technological golden age is largely passed down through myth and legend.

This gives the universe a really juicy mythological Lord of The Rings sort of feel where you know there are mysteries in the margins--perhaps outside of the scope of the story--that could definitely be explained and analyzed to death if only there were someone who still carried that ancient knowledge. It allows the writers a lot of freedom while perhaps making for a richer, more imaginative experience. Some things are better left open to interpretation. The unexplained is often more interesting to me than the explained. I'm not sure if this signifies fantasy or what, but at a certain point I think it just comes down to an argument of semantics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread