Unknown enemy race

by kapowaz, Monday, April 01, 2013, 05:44 (4042 days ago) @ Malagate

There's also still the matter of the creature that looks like some sort of chained beast. I believe it can be seen in (what i believe to be) the Hellmouth interior during the PS4 announcement footage, and very briefly (unskinned) at the beginning of the GDC character design video.

I went back to look at this, as I was sure it was just a Hive character, but having looked at both I'm no longer quite so sure:

[image]

The untextured version above as it appears in the character development video shows several clear physical traits that distinguish it from what I initially assumed it to be; a Cabal race creature. The head is too big for that, and there is the exposed ribcage to consider too.

Here's the announcement trailer shot:

[image]

And zoomed in:

[image]

Now, what I'm wondering is whether this truly is the mysterious fifth race, or if it's actually something else. One thing I've seen mentioned in interviews is this idea that The Hive are sort of like The Flood, in that they consume other races — certainly the aesthetic of this character is similar to the Hive ‘drones’ (if that's what they're called), and the setting for the ‘chained beast’ has a lot of details that could be interpreted as being connected with The Hive (hanging cocoons, ethereal giant cobwebs etc.) Is this actually a Cabal member who has been ‘infected’? Or is it another race entirely?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread