How's that new model working out? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 20:09 (2907 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll bet the studio teams are less burnt out! That pays off in quality of future content.

This would make me so happy. I'm really hoping for a gaming industry where people are able to live normal lives and still make competitive products they can be proud of.

^^^THIS^^^

I think about this a lot. Ubisoft seems to be on to something in that regard, thanks to their "Hollywood-ish" model. Multiple teams and departments within each studio, with multiple studios working on each game so that everyone is busy all the time. "The concept artist's in Montreal just finished work on their latest game? No problem, get them started on concepts for Ubi Toronto's next game."

It is leading to some interesting problems with the games themselves, in that they are all pulling from each other in a way that makes them all feel very "samey". "We need a 3rd-person cover system for Watch Dogs, so we'll just rip the code straight out of the last Splinter Cell game and use that... speaking of which, we need better shooting in Splinter Cell, so let's pull the weapon mechanics from Ghost Recon..." etc. Still, if it means people keep their jobs without working 80-100 hours per, I'm all for it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread