Huh? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 20, 2016, 15:30 (2906 days ago) @ Xenos

Part of your point though is confirmation bias. Bungie fixes a rather large amount of issues within a week or two of them being discovered, we just forget about them because they are gone so fast (and because, as all people do, when making a point we more easily remember the ones that support our claim).

A few examples:
* Sterling Treasure Box fix (which basically fixed a ONE time event)
* Crimson Days Ghosts (this wasn't even a bug, it was just to make us happy)
* Exotic Leg engrams not decrypting, SRL Record Book issue (same patch I believe)
* Unlimited Shadowshot
* Mythoclast unnerf

These are just off the top of my head. If you go browse the patch notes section on Bungie.net you'll find a lot more. Yes some issues take a long time to fix, but the fact that they DO fix so many so fast means those issues must be more difficult than we think to fix.

Totally valid point. I have my own theories about why certain changes take so much longer than others, but that's all they are: theories. This is totally just my own gut feeling, but I find that many of the tweaks that take a long time to deliver are design-changes rather than bugs or broken systems (IB drops being one of the exceptions). I've been reading a bit lately about the balance of instinct-driven design vs data-driven design, and the read I get from Bungie is that a lot of the changes we see are very data driven. They'll hear the community scream "ZOMG NERF EXOTIC HAND CANNONS" and so they'll spend months gathering data on how those weapons perform in the crucible before they decide to make a change or not. Which can sometimes be tough for some players to understand, because some of us feel like "why all the research? we could tell it was overpowered after using the thing for 10 minutes!" Some studios/designers base these kinds of decisions more on instinct. They focus more on the perceived experience of the individual player "Does it feel overpowered? Than it is, regardless of what the data says". For better or for worse, I get the sense that Bungie prefers taking their time to analyze all the data before making such changes. And that takes time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread