How's that new model working out? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 21:53 (2907 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What has changed for me is how I feel about some of the negative aspects of the game (negative IMO of course). I've gone from "tolerating" or "not worrying" about them to actively resenting them.

The less you play, the more you can step outside and see this. Since stopping, I've gone from remembering the good aspects, to flat out being repulsed by everything about Destiny. When I thought about the game before, I could at least justify parts of it. Now I simply can't defend it at all.

I find that the pvp game still has a ton of depth. The new light system is a vast improvement and it means I'm not hamstrung by not playing the raid very often. What surprises me is that Bungie doesn't seem to be designing to the strengths of the game. The core gunplay and movement of Destiny is a joy, but the vast majority of actual gameplay is staid, repetitive, and grindy as hell.

That being said, now that I have generally close to "top tier" weapons and armor, I feel much more free to spend my time as I wish, and learn how the PvP game is played at the master level.

The bottom line is that microtransactions do not seem to be translating into new or interesting content for players. Bungie is still figuring out how to properly balance their weapons and design some of their fundamental systems. The latest patch is really solid, but there's no guarantee that anything will improve further before D2 launches, and - frankly - all of this should have been figured out well before vanilla destiny launched. SRL was amazing, and bungie has inexplicably removed it from the game never to be seen again, so it doesn't really feel like those microtransactions bought the community *anything* there. Rented, maybe. PoE2 is interesting, but they could go so much farther. The points mechanic is GREAT and I really would love to see it applied to all strikes and raids, if only for bragging rights. RNG loot remains the achilles heel of Destiny. Bungie could quadruple the drop rates and it still wouldn't fix the issue. They need a way to custom craft your dream weapons. If only there were some sort of... weapon... machinist... in the game, that would be great.

At this point I don't know if I'll even buy Destiny 2. I certainly won't be pre-ordering it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread