Blacklist is my favourite SplinterCell game... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 20, 2016, 02:40 (2906 days ago) @ cheapLEY

... and like most SC fans, I LOVED Chaos Theory, so that's saying a lot.
It's also one of the most impressive games I've ever played from a "total package" point of view.

The campaign didn't have quite as many iconic moments as Chaos Theory, but it fixed one of the biggest problems I've always had with the SC gameplay: it's the first time I felt like I could truly improvise, even when things went wrong. They hit a great sweet-spot with the shooting mechanics: they feel tight and responsive (a first for the series), but you don't feel so overpowered that you can easily tank your way through missions. The impact this has on the game is huge. If you're going for a stealthy approach and something goes wrong, the gunplay is responsive enough that you feel like you can still maintain control of the situation if you play your cards right. In the previous SC games, I'd have to load my previous save pretty much any time the bullets started flying, but in Blacklist you feel equipped to deal with any situation multiple ways.

There's also a really cool points/upgrade system where you earn points in different style categories based on how you complete each mission. Sneaking past enemies and using silent, non-lethal takedowns earns you "ghost" points, silent lethal takedowns earn "Panther" points, and full-aggro kills earn "assault" points. All these points are used as currency to buy upgrades for your suit and gear, and the upgrades are actually meaningful. You can build load outs taylored to specific play styles. So if you're trying to earn a high "Ghost" score, you might buy upgrades that increase your climbing speed and improve your stealth abilities, for example. These style points also tap into a cool leaderboard system where you'll get players competing to see who can earn the highest "Panther" or "assault" score on a given level, or challenge themselves to complete a mission with nothing but ghost points.

Then there's the co-op. There are 3 types of co-op missions, all given out through the NPC crew members on your ship. One member of your squad gives you wave-based survival missions. Another gives you classic "stealth only" missions where a single detection is mission-failure. And the 3rd crew member gives you long, campaign-style co-op missions that string together into their own mini campaign. Of course, the scoring system is all in place for these modes too.

Finally, there's Spies vs Mercs. SvM in Blacklist is right up there with Trials in terms of my all-time favourite multiplayer modes. There's the classic 2v2 mode that gives pre-set load outs to each team. Levels are dark and intricate, and the matches are INTENSE. It might be the scariest game I've played, in the best possible way. There's also a new 4v4 mode with customizable load outs, a wider range of weapons and gadgets, and slightly brighter lighting. It's faster paced and a bit more chaotic, but also a bit more strategic thanks to all the gear and abilities at play. They did a masterful job of designing abilities that all feel powerful and useful, yet all have a counter. It's the ultimate Rock/Paper/Scissors design, and it's a freaking blast.

So yes, you should play this game :D

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread