Yes, Bungie stated that Eververse would fund Live Team (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 20, 2016, 14:59 (2906 days ago) @ Korny

If so, then he's basing his point on the nonsense interpretation the gaming press made, which was that Eververse purchases were supposed to fund "free DLC" which was a nonsense idea anyway.

"Our plan is to use these new items to bolster the service provided by our live team for another full year, as they grow and create more robust and engaging events that we’ll announce later this year. It has been, and continues to be, our goal to deliver updates to the game. Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests."
source: article on bungie.net

And they did deliver. People forget that stuff like the April Update included a lot of quality-of-life changes and a significant overhaul to the leveling/infusion systems. The recent Rocket bug is a reminder of how difficult it can be to make any small tweak without breaking something else, so for a small Live Team to deliver everything post-TTK, that the game wasn't destroyed on the scale of "The Division" by a major patch is pretty dang impressive. More so knowing how difficult it is to mess with Destiny's code.

Without Microtransaction budget, we would possibly still be on the previous system, whining about being burnt out on King's Fall (with Challenge Mode possibly being the only update that the budget would allow).

my response to Xenos up above covers a lot of my feelings on this, but my main point was to refute Narcogen's claim that the press made up the idea that the eververse was supposed to fund new content.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread