Comparing Destiny to itself is fine, but... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 23:51 (2907 days ago) @ Korny

...comparing it to Bungie's Halos gives us a much clearer picture of what we did or didn't get. With Destiny:

- We got drastically more ongoing support which included feature additions, bug fixes, multiplayer networking changes, and (I believe) at least six free multiplayer maps.

- Destiny currently has as many multiplayer maps as Halo 3 ended up with and three more than Reach ended up with. If you bought each Destiny expansion at full price you'd end up paying a bit more for Destiny (roughly $140 vs $100 for Halo 3)

- That said, that extra $40 also brought along a pair of new Raids, several new single player missions, several new pieces of exotic armor and several new exotic weapons, each with their own unique models and special powers, a handful of new Strikes, a new location packed with fun to discover secrets, two fun racing maps along with the Sparrow racing mode, a trio of holiday themed events, some downright brilliant writing and storylines in the Grimoire, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

Yes, Destiny has its problems, but straight up content and post launch support is not one of them. With Halo 2, 3, and Reach, I played through the single player in one to two days then had to wait three years for more content. With Destiny, I've gotten additional chunks of content multiple times now. For me, at least, Destiny has been this fun, ongoing, evolving journey that I know isn't over yet since there's the large Fall release still to come.

I guess I just find it a bit hard to complain about the last two years of periodic content drops, lore expansions, and new explorations with friends compared to Halo's one and done approach even though it did cost me a little more. That we know another game is not too far over the horizon as well leaves me with... Thankfulness for the past and Hope for the Future. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread