Huh? (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, May 20, 2016, 17:47 (2906 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I know it sounds a bit childish to say "I want free stuff sooner!"

I don't think it's that unreasonable to feel that way in this particular case. Destiny is a game that takes, takes, takes from you. It demands much from you and it does't really give back.

Like, if you had a partner who didn't work but asked you to always buy them shit, didn't drive so you always had to go out of your way to take them places, and expected you to put yourself second and help them out all the time, are you really wrong if you ask them to do the dishes tonight?

I'm really trying to understand this post, but I can't parse it.

I honestly don't understand what you mean when you say that Destiny takes, takes, takes from me - I can't name a single thing it's taken (I don't count time, because I give that freely). And it gives me enjoyment, nearly every time I play it.

It's not enough to say "we see this from different perspectives." I don't think we're even looking at the same thing. :(

Personally, I wouldn't voice my feelings quite as drastically as Cody did, but I do have somewhat similar feelings. "Taking" is the wrong word, I think (for me at least). I've always found Destiny to be a game that contains these incredibly fun little nuggets, but I need to get through a bunch of other stuff that I don't enjoy just to reach those nuggets. When Vanilla launched, I adored VoG and the nightfalls. But I had to sink loads of time into content that I didn't really enjoy to reach those points. I have a blast using certain weapons, but the process of acquiring those weapons was often long and frustrating. Bungie has certainly made improvements in some areas. Upgrading gear and aquiring materials isn't the grindy slog that it used to be. But then they go and add the Chroma system as it is. It's strange to me that this far after launch they are still adding features or systems that are so flagrantly unfriendly to the player. I KNOW they are going to adjust it down the road... It's so obviously frustrating the moment you do it the very first time. But Bungie's approach seems to be "make everything take a really long time and we'll change it once the community complains enough." (I know that's not their literal train of thought, I'm just pointing out the pattern I see with how they handle their "investment" systems),

We just play this game so, so very differently that communication about its problems is difficult. :(

I got a Chaperone after SRL - because when I first received the Jolly Holliday quest, I tried it out, decided I wasn't interested in playing Crucible a way I didn't enjoy, and forgot about it. SRL came along, and suddenly there was a trivial way to finish this quest, so I did, and got the gun. And yeah, it's fun to play with (though I'm so crappy with shotguns in general that I didn't do much more than try it out before putting it into my vault). But not having it for a year didn't bug me in the slightest.

I didn't get a Thorn for well over a year; it was too much of a pain in the ass to try and figure out how to make Fusion Rifles work well enough to earn the points needed (a Void FR was the only void weapon I had at the start), so I just ignored it. Eventually, I had a Word of Crota, a Void LDR, and a Truth - and suddenly the requirements were pretty simple, so I completed them. It's a nice gun - but I'm not very good with it (I was a Last Word fanatic at the time I got it, and it just fired too slowly for my taste), so it's mostly in my vault. I never once felt like I was missing something.

I sort of hate flashy armor. Most of my characters are clad in black. So Chroma was irrelevant to me. I tried it out (and I've colored a couple of weapons just to make the stupid yellow outline on their boxes in my inventory)... but I really couldn't care less about it. Which means I have a vault full of all colors of Chroma. If, at some point, I change my mind and decide I like the concept of glowy armor... I can have as much as I want, in whatever color I want. Zero grinding, because it falls frequently enough that if you don't actually use it you build up a mountain.

I have dozens of weapons I haven't even had a chance to try out yet, because they're dropping faster than I can handle. I have only once felt as though I've had to do stuff I didn't want to do in order to earn a weapon I didn't have. (I've certainly done things I haven't really enjoyed - but it wasn't until the Exotic Sword quest that I realized I was grinding in a way I'd never done before, and I didn't like it.) I finished that quest - but I ignored the other two. I only have the Arc exotic sword - and I'm totally okay with the idea that I'll probably never have the other two.

Again: you and I play completely differently. I do not, and (almost) never have, felt that Bungie has pushed me to do things I don't want to do in order to get to things I DO want to do. I have always, since Day 1 (since BEFORE Day 1, if you wanna count the Beta, or the Alpha), found so many activities that I CAN do that the ones I CAN'T are fine to push down the road.

I get that this is not true for you. (Or for Cody. Or for probably millions of other players.) But it's true for me, and even some degree of empathy leaves me deficient in fully understanding your plight (at least from an internalized standpoint).

Sorry. I wish I were better at this. :(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread