Does Destiny need a "campaign"? (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:37 (2393 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What I think needs to be done is some segregation.

No where in the history of Humanity has this ever been a good idea. It still isn't for Destiny.

The campaign should be more traditional, and have exclusive locations and challenges, and upon beating it you could then open up into the current endgame with patrols and adventures and the like. This way you get a nice, satisfying story campaign with which to set the world, and then the end game to explore it further.

I honestly think they did a good job of integration. The biggest problem Bungie has with Campaign vs Open World is not that they are considered two different things in gaming culture, it's that campaign is considered a "you and up to two other guardians are going to save the world" when we know that there is an entire legion of guardians doing that. And every other activity is made for all those legions of guardians. What we need is some way for guardians to "team up" for a campaign mission like they do in public events. That is the only way we can actually get it to not be segregated. But that's really hard to do. It worked in parts of the campaign but not others.

What would have been amazing is at the end of the campaign when you fight Ghaul, you had a mob of 16 or so Guardians giving their all to take him down. That would have made a whole lot more sense than 1-3.

I mean, when D1 came out my first thought, that excited me about the game, was how we have a single city full of guardians to fight back the darkness. I was expecting a ton of badasses guardians fighting for their lives to push back the darkness. Then I got a campaign that was only 1-3 of us. This is why public events and raids and the open world part feels much better. It's also why the little bits in D2 where randos came to fight with you felt so awesome.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread