Does Destiny need a "campaign"? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:48 (2392 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

the last city should've been a open-ish world (like the tower was in the first mission). Can you imagine dozens of guardians on launch day plowing through the city together? Canonically, just your fireteam makes it to the final encounter (b/c you are the chosen ones or whatever), but having just an all out war in the city would've been awesome.

maybe after you go thru cayde's teleporter, they say that it broke right as you went through (or gets smashed by a drop pod), so the other guardians won't be joining you.

Yeah, I needed something other than basically "you're the chosen one(s)"! Because that's way to cliche at this point. Even if it was a fight to the end.

It's also obviously not the case, because there are scores of other guardians who wield light and who are completely ignored by the main story. Bungie wrote a single player story for the campaign when they should have written something more general. Give us a different NPC as the main character and have us be one of that character's soldiers in a full on war. Some missions would be "I need you and a small team to do X" and others would be "rally to the general! Fight en masse against the enemy!" and take place in more open space with whole patrols able to join in etc..

I'll even mention that Hawthorne was primed to be the protagonist here. She could have been the lightless human who risked it all to save the guardians, and then was willing to give her only life at the end to fight Gaul, at which point Ikora transfers her light into Hawthorne, Ikora dies for real, and Hawthorne is reborn a guardian. It's a crying shame that they didn't kill anyone after taking their light. They didn't even fake it by killing them and then having them come back to life after the Traveler is freed.

You know the old saying, if you show a gun in Act 1, it better go off in Act 3? Bungie didn't pull the trigger on many of the plot threads they began, and the whole thing whimpered as a result.

Even so, it exists, so it's far better than D1. It ain't shit compared to the Last of Us or Horizon Zero Dawn though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread