Does Destiny need a "campaign"? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:04 (2393 days ago) @ Korny

You’re hitting on a few good points there. I do think Bungie has a problem with their current approach to storytelling in general at the moment (beyond the obvious shortcomings of Vanilla D1). Every thread they introduce seems to either a) not go anywhere meaningful, or b) end in a cliffhanger that never gets resolved.

TTK starts with 1 cliffhanger (where is Mara?) and ends with another (WTF is Eris up to?). We’ve had 2 major Destiny releases since then, and neither of those threads have been mentioned in any meaningful way. And the more time goes by, the less likely it is that Bungie will ever return to those threads (because with every release, there is this pull to tell a “complete, contained story”). What about The Stranger? Dr Shinn? The alliance between humans and the awoken? Etc.

The only real exception to this trend Crota. He was introduced in D1, we fought him in TDB, and dealt with the reprocussions of his death in TTK. But even that was partially messed up when Bungie restructured the D1 story progression and made it so that the TTK missions begin before you’ve even fought Crota.

All this to say, I have a tough time caring about anything story related in Destiny, because Bungie hasn’t yet found a way to make the story matter. We’re into the 4th year now, and I still feel like I’m waiting for the story to start.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread