Does Destiny need a "campaign"? (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:02 (2393 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What I think needs to be done is some segregation.

The campaign should be more traditional, and have exclusive locations and challenges, and upon beating it you could then open up into the current endgame with patrols and adventures and the like. This way you get a nice, satisfying story campaign with which to set the world, and then the end game to explore it further.

Removing it altogether would be a problem. I know Des2ny tried and it was better, but because it tried to do it all at once you get sidetracked. Titan is kind of just a pit stop for nothing really and feels out of place. But if the campaign were tighter, you could have forgone Titan and had that be part of exploring the larger universe once you finished a great story campaign.

Titan is one of my favorite locations, but it feels so small. My hope is that the maps on each planet are extended out in the DLC over time. I agree, though, that it doesn't feel like D2's version of Hoth. It felt like way more of a "well crap, Hive/Fallen have mucked this place up too, guess we're gonna bounce in 5". Fast travel also contributes to this.

If it were up to me, I'd probably want to take the exact opposite approach. Bring 95% of the story content into the public spaces, with other players running around and participating in the combat with you, and then have the sections of isolation periodically dotted throughout the campaign. It could lead to some great tension; after spending the majority of the campaign fighting along side other guardians, finding yourself alone against a particularly nasty boss would be thrilling.

I think I see what you're after here, and I think playing with that dynamic specifically would be pretty intriguing; but I don't agree about the general aspect of incorporating more players into the story experience on the whole.

I did enjoy segments in the campaign that incorporated other players, and I think set pieces can be constructed to make even better use of larger groups of the player population to drive the action (in fact I'd argue that Destiny needs this), but I think if the entire campaign is that way, a lot of it would feel like a traffic jam that retreads the same ground over and over.

I value the moments I can feel immersed , and I'll be the first to admit Destiny has fewer of those than I'd like. There's definitely a lot of potential in the idea, and I think it's certainly possible to do it in a way that becomes more than the sum of its parts, but it's a really delicate balance that needs to be struck.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread