Does Destiny need a "campaign"? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:27 (2393 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What I think needs to be done is some segregation.

The campaign should be more traditional, and have exclusive locations and challenges, and upon beating it you could then open up into the current endgame with patrols and adventures and the like. This way you get a nice, satisfying story campaign with which to set the world, and then the end game to explore it further.

Removing it altogether would be a problem. I know Des2ny tried and it was better, but because it tried to do it all at once you get sidetracked. Titan is kind of just a pit stop for nothing really and feels out of place. But if the campaign were tighter, you could have forgone Titan and had that be part of exploring the larger universe once you finished a great story campaign.

If it were up to me, I'd probably want to take the exact opposite approach. Bring 95% of the story content into the public spaces, with other players running around and participating in the combat with you, and then have the sections of isolation periodically dotted throughout the campaign. It could lead to some great tension; after spending the majority of the campaign fighting along side other guardians, finding yourself alone against a particularly nasty boss would be thrilling.

But this gives you the problem that public spaces face when it comes to level design. Story areas in the public spaces make the game feel 'small', plus the area has to be designed like a funnel to make sure players get together.

Bungie already kinda did this with the numerous spaces in the game that are campaign only. And I remember those the most.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread