Lockout (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 12:51 (3529 days ago) @ Avateur

I think you just proved his point even more.

Two points:

1. Cody seems to think this lockout is going to affect his ability to proceed further in the game. I think he's either wrong, or doesn't yet have enough information to be right. As I said elsewhere, I highly doubt that normal engram drops and experience earning will stop when you replay a section of a raid. If the rewards for beating sections of the raid are necessary to go forward... well you'd have them on your second play through, right? They can't lock you out from earning something again if you haven't earned it once.

Yes, sure, maybe he won't have good enough armor and guns to move forward, but it seems highly unlikely that will have anything to do with the raid reward lockout. It'll just be his normal complaints against Investment Systems...

2. My point about Halo was that people have replayed levels of Halo: Combat Evolved for some 13 years now with no in game rewards or level modifiers other than difficulty. It leaves me thinking "???" when it is suddenly a problem that the bonuses at the end of (sections of?) Destiny's Raids are locked out for a time. If Destiny's gameplay is fun, if the missions are challenging, then what do the rewards matter?

Cody says: "Destiny is about the loot! The endgame is about getting great rewards!" but I don't see it that way. I think you can even find a few Bungie quotes that say something similar but it's not why I am going to play Destiny. Throughout the history of Halo people have often had things I haven't. High level armor pieces in Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4. Flaming helmets, Recon armor, super high level... uh levels (Redeemer, Inheritor... those labels). I never went after any of that stuff but all the games were still fun and still worth playing.

First and foremost I'm going to play Destiny because the core gameplay during the beta was fun. Secondly, I'm going to play because so far I've really enjoyed the universe Bungie has been setting up and I've liked pulling the information together and presenting it to the community. Anything beyond that like special emblems or guns or whatever is a bonus to me that I'll happen to get while playing a fun game. Certainly its nothing to complain about.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread