Lockout (Destiny)

by Monochron, Wednesday, September 03, 2014, 07:44 (3526 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Yeah, I have read most of this thread and agree that you are entirely right. But putting a lock on rewards in a game type that takes multiple hours to complete a single run through is fundamentally different than simply removing marks in the crucible or removing a reward at the end of a level.

...No it isn't? It's only removing the completion rewards, which are exactly what marks and end level rewards are. That is fundamentally the exact same thing.

Hhm, maybe I didn't make my point very clear. There is mountains of difference in removing the completion reward from a long-term task and removing the completion reward from a short-term task. I see two main ways that it is different.

First, in short-term tasks the participation rewards (XP, etc.) are somewhat comparable to completion rewards. Therefore if you remove the completion reward from that, you can get stuff almost as good. However in long-term my understanding is that the completion rewards are significantly better than participation rewards. Thus removing completion rewards from long-term tasks drastically reduces its allure, while the same only slightly hurts short-term tasks.

Second, I have gotten the impression that Raids will take a certain degree of grinding/wandering. Luke Smith has said that there will be very few instructions in Raids, eg. you have to figure out how to open a door without any directions. To me this means that an average 15 minutes in Raids may be significantly more boring than 15 minutes in the Crucible. For me, at least, the whole point of grinding/wandering is moot if I am not rewarded in a reasonable way. Getting XP can be done in the Crucible without having to grind/wander. Removing the reward from grinding makes me not want to grind, but the same cannot be said about 15 minutes of fun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread