Put up or shut up time, Cody. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 15:46 (3527 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Same thing with the Crucible was seen in the beta. After four days of heavy play I managed to fill the progress circle and the game told me I wouldn't earn more Crucible Marks... it didn't stop me from playing. :)

When you reach level 20, and your entire progression and thus ability to play the higher level content relies on such rewards, it kind of will stop you from playing :-p

Where has it ever been said that your entire progression after level 20 relies on rewards?

Level 20 is the soft cap. Light raises your level with a cap at 30. Light is only on gear. You cannot gain levels past 20 without getting gear.

Yes, I agree. Which is why I addressed and addressed and addressed and addressed, that issue in this thread. Four times already I've specifically brought up the idea that you'll still earn high level gear though normal gameplay methods. Here, I'll quote the relevant sections:

Even then, I'd expect Destiny's normal loot systems to keep working. You'd still be gaining experience toward the next unlocks, you'd still be picking up random (and potentially very high level!) weapon and armor engrams...

Cody seems to think this lockout is going to affect his ability to proceed further in the game. I think he's either wrong, or doesn't yet have enough information to be right. As I said elsewhere, I highly doubt that normal engram drops and experience earning will stop when you replay a section of a raid.

While you won't earn specific Raid only armor pieces or weapons on the second time through it seems highly likely that you will continue to earn glimmer, continue to earn experience towards unlocking new parts of your character's chosen focus, and continue to earn new level 20+ armor and gear by simply killing enemies, just like in the beta. We have no information stating that these normal game systems will be disabled even during the raid reward lockout.

I think these raid rewards will be like the Iron Banner rewards we've already seen. Custom guns and armor with custom themes and colors that are not required to continue the raid or any other high level content. I think they will be for bragging rights but will be equaled by other high level gear that will not be the subject of a raid reward lockout.

Maybe I've missed something, and I'll be happy to acknowledge that I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that we'll hit level 20 and we will never get better gear out of an engram drop and there will never be better gear for sell at the Tower. The way you tell it, all the investment systems that I enjoyed in the beta will switch off once I hit level 20. That just feels wrong to me.

My claim here is that rewards, such as those given out for beating sections of raids, are a way to progress past level 20 but not the only way. In essence, I think the game will work the say way below level 20 and above level 20 except for the experience cap. You clearly think that I'm wrong since you just told someone that the rewards lockout would stop them from playing higher level content.

Prove it.

Prove that your entire progression after level 20 relies on rewards vs picking up gear via engrams or buying gear at a store. If you can't do that you shouldn't be telling people that their ability to play the higher level content relies on such rewards.

If you can't prove it then stop saying it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread