Things warframe learned from Destiny... (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 14:50 (3282 days ago) @ Kahzgul

You're letting the tail wag the dog in your argument here. Journey is a beautiful game and it sucked ballsack. There's no gameplay. It's just "walk around and do nothing." Frankly, Destiny is only slightly different, in that it's "Walk around a shoot everything" but there's almost no variation. The player's tactics don't need to adjust to what's on the field, the environment you're in doesn't matter, and there are no goals other than to kill everything. There's not even plot justification for the action, nor do the missions change on replay.

Yes, but Journey would have sucked even more if the art were worse, because the game is about exploration. Exploring a pretty world is much much better than exploring an ugly one.

It's quite possible to have incredible art and crap gameplay, just as it's possible to have incredible gameplay with crap art.

You say that as if I would disagree? I don't. However, this division between art and 'gameplay' is not cut and dry. Take my example with Journey. Make the game more ugly, and it becomes less fun, all without touching the mechanics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread