More things Destiny should learn from Warframe (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, May 04, 2015, 15:40 (3281 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I just finished reading this entire thread and my overall vibe I'm getting from it is that your faith in Destiny is lost and you have found a better game to play instead. I get that. What I don't get is how you title the thread like you are trying to improve Destiny, but what it sounds like to me is you are looking to convert people to Warframe.

I understand that you love the game you play. But I'm getting some serious Warframe elitest vibes. This is how I feel. Personally, I think if you really care about how badly Bungie is doing with Destiny, you should really be telling all of this to them.

I'm sorry it comes off as elitist. I'm trying to share that there's a game out there that is shockingly similar to destiny in premise and which delivers what I believe is a dramatically better gameplay experience. I want people to check it out so that they can join in asking Bungie to improve Destiny. I want Bungie to check it out so that they can steal the elements that work so well.

I'm just glad you have a passion for it.

Personally, I think Bungie knows what is wrong with their game. And when I say "what is wrong" I mean what is actually broken. I feel like a lot of people are complaining about Destiny because it's not what they expected/wanted. Bungie made they game they wanted to make. They are still evolving the game that way. They have hit some bumps along the way.

The fault for Destiny being not what I expected lies squarely at the feet of the marketing people who broke promises left and right in the hype-up to the game's launch.

I hate marketing. But I also understand it's a necessary evil.

From advertisements with "game footage" that isn't actually part of the game to statements during interviews of "if you see a mountain in the distance, you can go there" to "every item will tell a story" the game has failed to deliver on these things. "Build your legend" is an absurd tagline for a game where the legend of running Vault of Glass 20+ times and still not having a Fatebringer or Mytoclast is not a good legend. It's more of a cautionary tale, I'd say.

Technically, every item does tell a story, it's just one sentence long :)

Also, Bungie does ground braking games. I love them for it. But I have to say, Destiny was a huge bite in ground braking games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't really think of a decent MMO game that also has PvP (at least good).

Also, you're comparing Destiny's PvP to MMOs when I feel like it should be compared to FPSes. CoD and Titanfall are both investment game FPSes and they blow Destiny's PvP out of the water in both play, netcode, and available game modes. I'm not personally a fan of Battlefield, but I know many people who would claim that smokes Destiny as well.

I specifically mentioned this because Destiny is an MMO that has PvP. That is what makes it unique. It's hard to compare it to any other FPS PvP specifically because it is affected by it's PvE components. We have all experienced this in Destiny. That is why it's so amazing that it works so well. You just can't compare it against other games PvP to PvP it has to be across the board.

And no one mentions the fact that Destiny is YOUNG. I would love for Destiny to be compared to Warframe at the age Destiny is at now. Or compare Destiny that is two years older to a current Warframe.

I didn't play warframe until about a month ago, so I can't speak to that. I do know that it's only a year older than Destiny though, not two. Also, they've never charged for an expansion - so all of the updates and changes are free to all. Destiny has actually taken away content from people who didn't buy the xpacs because they don't always have access to the Nightfall missions (when it's the Omnigul mission, for example) or the daily mission or whatnot when they're CE-related. It gave them more vendor items, true, so it may be a wash in the end - but that still seems pretty crappy to me.

I love Destiny for what it is. I know that it still needs time to mature and stabilize. But frankly, all MMO's do.

I enjoyed Destiny for a while, then I played more because I enjoyed my friends' company in the game. But I think I've always been salty because I feel like the press before launch lied to me, and I pre-ordered based on those lies. I've learned my lesson and will never pre-order another game again. I don't lay the blame for that squarely on Destiny, either. There have been several high-profile games in the last few years that failed to deliver on the pre-launch hype.

I'm terrible with dates. All I know is that when I google the release date for both games, I get:
Destiny: September 9, 2014
Warframe: October 24, 2012

All I was saying is that that is a fair chunk of time to learn how to do this type of game better. To improve it. Warframe has a lot of experience under it's belt, Destiny doesn't.

I'm glad you still have faith, but I think I'm burned on Destiny.

Being burned on a game is the fault of both the game designer and the user. I am a little burned myself, but that doesn't mean that Destiny is a bad game.

For Destiny 2, I'll be taking a wait-and-see approach. I just hope they don't do something like give pre-orders a sweet gun that you will never be able to get if you wait to see how the game is before buying it.

I understand your reason to wait and see. I also really don't like the whole "buy this early and get this" or "Buy for this console and get this" but again, as I mentioned before, I hate marketing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread