Cars are not games (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, May 04, 2015, 14:53 (3281 days ago) @ Durandal

Warframe's graphics and such didn't move me, but I can accept a different asthetic. I absolutely hate the ship voice, but I probably could deal with it.

Fair points, but you almost never talk to the ship. I'm not sure if you can turn his chatter off, but you may be able to do that. There's lots of unexpected options.

The main turnoff is that there are all theses fantastic classes and you can't play any of them without paying.

False. You buy the blueprint for the final product from the market. Find the blue prints for the components in the game world. Farm the materials for those components. Assemble the whole thing, and bam, you've got your fantastic class. It takes a while (I'm about to finish building my first one), but it also takes a while to level a class to 30, which you'll always want to do in order to maximize your mastery rank.

You can only die three times without paying.

False. You can self-ressurrect 4 times per day per warframe without paying. I've only run out of self-res once. You can die an infinite number of times, but once out of self-res you either need an ally to revive you or you can no longer contribute to the mission (and, once everyone dies, the mission fails).

You missed out on all this gear from events that happened before you played the game.

My understanding is that there are basically only 6 items that can no longer be acquired in some way and none of them are must-haves. And these aren't available in the game at all - regardless of how much real money you want to spend.

Neverwinter is the same way. There is a huge gear/time hurdle to get into the game. Time I've already invested into Destiny. Is Warframe that much better that I should shuck it all and switch?

Right now the answer is no. In the future it might change. But the same points people make about Warframe improving over time also applies to Destiny, if at a lower frequency due to the slower update cycle on the big time games.

Warframe is F2P, so it has a whole different model that requires those constant updates to work. Destiny is the other way around, they get money up front and have a long term investment strategy.

The only thing you have to pay for is cosmetic options above and beyond the initial (but still versatile) color palette, or if you want your warframe to have a tail or wings or something. And, really, you don't have to pay money for these things because there are people who will trade you the "real money" currency in the game for certain rare items you've acquired and/or leveled up on your own.

For example, I have yet to pay any actual money to the game (though I will, because I feel like they've earned my cash at this point), and I'm about to build the Nyx warframe, I just completed my Latron scout rifle (which will be my 3rd primary weapon), and I've got several swords (and one giant axe) in reserve. I'm also nearly done building my Odonata warframe (the Archwing for space combat!).

Sure, it takes longer to buy a blueprint and then search out the materials for an item than it does to spend $ and buy the item outright, but it's great to say "I want item X. That means I need materials A, B, and C, which I can get from any mission on planets P, Q, R, or S. Time to start playing missions on those worlds!" But I'm having a ton of fun just unlocking more worlds and farming up the mats I need to build new stuff. Farming isn't really the right word, because it's not like I'm playing the same mission over and over. It's almost always new missions for me. It will take a really, really long time before I've totally unlocked everything and will have to replay something.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread