Positive Revival

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 10:59 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

At that point, why bother limiting yourself to two/three if you can just get around that by adding more people?

So that playing solo doesn't become too easy. Furthermore, it'd be kind of silly to be able to carry around every weapon you ever grabbed and switch between them in the heat of battle: that would make it incredibly easy. See a Devil Walker, pull out a Rocket Launcher; see a Fallen Captain, pull out a Minigun. Now allow an entire group to do that. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

If you design the game around the idea that the player has every weapon at all times, it won't necessarily be easy. Nobody ever called Serious Sam easy.

But if the idea behind a weapon limit is to force the player to use a bit of strategy in deciding what weapons to bring into encounters, the idea would be that there'd be a tradeoff with every weapon combo so no one would be completely dominant, right? Players have to play and replay the game in order to determine which is the optimal weapon combo for them for any given section of the game. But when you have a ton of people, that element is lost since each person can just have unique weapons, thus the group is always going to have someone with the proper weapon for any given segment.

In Halo, Shotgun/Rockets is great for the flood, but not so much for Sentinels and the covenant. So in co-op, one person has Shotgun/Rockets, and the other has PP/Pistol or PP/AR and suddenly Two Betrayals is really easy since between the two of you you're always good to go.

Given that Halo is really a single player game, this isn't a problem, but destiny is meant to be played with people.

As for Claude's idea for an inventory, I'd really like to know in what situation anybody here finds inventory management to be fun. To me, it adds more frustration and very little strategy. An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go. So grenades in Halo are not inventory, since you can't put a gun in your grenade slot.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread