Positive Revival

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:23 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I like how I went to the trouble of defining what an inventory is, because I knew someone would try and say something you just did. THE WEAPONS SLOTS IN HALO ARE NOT AN INVENTORY. Re-read the last two sentences of the post you replied to.

I just did, and you said "An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go." This would include Halo, and naturally Destiny. So I was right to say 'inventory'.

"An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go."

Can you put a grenade in a weapon slot in Halo? Can you put a weapon in a grenade slot in Halo? Can you put a piece of equipment anywhere but your equipment slot? Why do I bother to type things if people don't read them. It's not hard to understand, so I'm assuming you just didn't read it.

Halo does not have an inventory.

You are completely discounting the point I made, where a smart group of players will never have to adapt and adjust, because between them they can have everything they'll need to tackle any given area. Don't have the right weapon? Someone in your party does, let him take care of it.

Yes, it makes it easier. However, which would be easier:

A) You have a group of four players, all with three weapons apiece, or
B) You have a group of four players, all able to switch between every weapon they own in the heat of battle.

I think the choice is self-evident. Three weapons apiece is harder. I honestly don't see why you're so dead-set against a Halo-style inventory (albeit modified to fit an MMORPG-style game) - it's infinitely better than the alternative. If you want a Marathon or Unreal Tournament-style weapon choice design, then you can probably find it inside multiplayer PvP matches - that's the only place where it makes sense. Outside of PvP, there's no understandable reason for anything other than a Halo-style inventory.

I've explained this: the larger your party, the less Halo style weapon limitations actually matter, and Destiny is apparently supposed to be played with groups of people. Why would you include this limitation, when one of the main design points of your game negates it?

The 'better' (and I put that in quotes because it's not a good thing at all, but it's better than a hard limit given the design of the game already), is to do gun leveling where you are effectively limited because you've only been leveling up one or two guns, and the rest aren't useful because they are underpowered.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread