This has been my biggest fear. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 22, 2018, 12:57 (2304 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It makes me sad to hear this :(

I've been thinking about the negativity in the community a lot lately. Negativity in an online videogame community is nothing new, but things do feel different now than any time in the past. There was plenty of complaining and disappointment in the early days of D1, for example... but I get the sense that there was also more discussion about lore, sharing of cool or funny or thrilling gameplay moments (both written and in video form), fan art. All the kinds of things that a vibrant community produces and thrives on.

I could be wrong, but I feel like there is generally a lot less of that sort of thing floating around these days (both within DBO and the larger Destiny community).
I'm not really sure why, either. I know that I've tried and failed on multiple occasions to muster up the motivation to make a montage, or take some screenshots, or have some D2-related fun with photoshop. And it's not that I like the game less than I liked D1. Quite the opposite in many ways. But I think D2 just isn't that kind of game for me, whatever that is. And that is in no way a criticism or a knock against the game. I jump in once a week or so, play for a couple hours, and have a great time. It's just not the kind of game that lights a spark in my imagination and makes me want to put creative energy towards it. I only mention this because I am usually the kind of guy who will put insane amounts of time and energy into those sorts of creations. D2 just doesn't ignite that same impulse in me, and I get the feeling that I'm not an entirely uncommon case, perhaps? I've seen a couple threads or initiatives from other members here at DBO that are examples of the kinds of creative output I'm talking about, but not very many. And again, I don't think any of this is necessarily a reflection of any "problems" with D2. I think it's totally possible for D2 to be a great game while not being "that kind of game" for as many of the fans as D1 or the Halo games were.

The thing is, even if I'm right about the lack of fan-content being a large part of why the tone feels disproportionately negative around the community, I don't know what to do about it. Because the kind of creative projects I'm talking about can't exactly be forced. The streaming community is a perfect example of what happens when you force yourself to spend crazy amounts of time and creative energy towards something that you aren't truly into... look how toxic and resentful many of those players are towards the game, all because they tried to force themselves to play Destiny for 60 hours per week EVERY WEEK and then got outraged the moment they felt a little bored (eyeroll.gif).

I don't know, maybe this is the sort of thing that just ebs and flows and we're in the middle of a low time right now? For what its worth, I still love coming to DBO, just to hear from everyone here, even if a lot of the conversation around D2 is on the negative side.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread