Anti Extinction (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, June 18, 2018, 11:24 (2137 days ago) @ narcogen

I was a bit confused about that. The requirement for DO was wearing the "anti-extinction" set, but I never saw an "anti-extinction" cape. There was a DO cape that dropped, and I wore it, and I believe I was getting the 4 renown for heroic events, but I'm not sure I wasn't getting it without the cape-- which made me wonder if the "extinction set" was only the other items and there wasn't a cape, or if the DO cape that wasn't labeled "anti-extinction" counted.

My understanding was you had to be wearing ALL DO gear. I don't think "Anti-Extinction" was the hard requirement; even if that's what the text said. It may have just been mis-indicated. I believe on at least one of the two characters I was running during the event, only one had all Anti-Extinction gear. The other had at least a few pieces not labelled as such.

At any rate, I think the point was to offer some things that... well, not everybody would be able to get. There are already redditors screaming blue bloody murder just at the *thought* that Y1 gear might be light-capped, because they wanted to make sure that Destiny 2 players returning to the game for Forsaken wouldn't be on a level playing field with those who stayed with the game.

Yeah, there's a difference between exclusivity by feats (like Raid/EP/CRU gear) and by RNG; and I understand some of the motivation behind folks wanting their investment to confer them an advantage, but those folks can take a flying leap at a rolling donut. That kind of exclusivity is already in play. Faction gear doesn't need to work by those limitations, and I'd argue that it SHOULDN'T at all.

I think there needs to be a balance between providing unique rewards for people who feel compelled to play a lot, tick all the boxes, what have you, while still remaining friendly and accessible to new, returning, and more (ahem) "casual" players.

Absolutely agree, and I think Bungie has done that with the ornaments. They don't confer any advantage, and yet they are pretty eye-catching, even to more casual players. Completing the feats for the ornaments certainly left me with a sense of accomplishment, and if I want to show that off, I have the perfect way to do that without skewing the meta for the more casual folks who didn't commit in the same way to the grind.

As a bit of an aside, light-capping Y1 gear, frankly, would be a shitty move. I see that as a way to sweep things off the table with respect to the PvE meta, and it would sort of invalidate the investment of a lot of players by requiring them to grind for new gear. I agree that it's a comparatively soft touch compared to other choices that they might make; and in general I support the idea of forcing players (especially the hardcore) out of their comfort zone as a good thing. And it didn't really seem to send things off the rails in D1 like many feared, but not everyone plays CRU, so. I have sympathy for those that would feel kneecapped by such a decision.

In the end, as long as the CRU meta still keeps the Y1 stuff viable, I won't have too many complaints. I'm just hoping Vigilance Wing and Graviton Lance can be put in check by either Bows in general, or a meta tweak. I have a feeling Bungie have put themselves in a position where one or both of those guns will have to have specific changes made to them to keep things balanced. Things are starting to feel like H2 again.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread