Quantic Dream - Dust has Settled (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 24, 2020, 11:02 (1395 days ago)

So I haven't played Detroit so far because of the controversy and allegations surrounding the company. It seems as if the dust has settled on this, and the 'facts' decided.

In this case, it appears to have been resolved. Labor courts have sided with Quantic Dream regarding the hostile work environment allegations. They did however have to pay out to the employee who raised the complaint about the photoshopped images. And even then the details are more favorable. He initially accepted the company's apology, but only escalated the issue when they refused to fire the person who made them.

It also seems they have made a real change at the studio. I think I would feel ok playing this game now.

There is no danger in playing it safe. Quantic Dream says the studio is fine. Waiting has done nothing but ensure I can make an informed decision.

I've been asked about Last of Us 2. The crunch was so brutal 70% of the senior team from Uncharted 4 quit. But if we refused to play games simply because of crunch, then we'd have all missed Halo 2.

There's a difference between mismanagement, and willfully toxic behavior. But they key is also willingness to change. Quantic Dream did. Blizzard and Riot haven't, for example. They are off the table for me.

I guess the bottom line is, don't be afraid to wait on playing games until you know what's up. Better to be eventually right than initially wrong.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread