You don't understand anything about crunch. (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 12:43 (1392 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My read on it has always been that unions do help in some ways and solve some problems, but there are generally too blunt of an instrument to do what they aim to do properly. Studios of different sizes in different locations working on projects of different scopes and scales... there are just too many variables for a single, industry-wide union to properly address.

Wow it’s almost as if different studios could have different contracts with the union depending on their size and ability.

https://www.editorsguild.com/Wages-and-Contracts

Yeah, that might totally be the solution. Like I said, with conditions as bad for most developers as they currently are, i’m not at all opposed to the idea of introducing unions. I’ve never worked under a union so I have zero first hand experience. All I know is that every friend I have who does work in a unionized industry complains about their unions. This could just be people bitching because we all need to vent about work stuff once in a while... I don’t know. I’ve just gotten the impression that they introduce roughly as many problems as they solve. But again, when the problem of crunch is as bad as it currently is, it could very well be worthwhile.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread