Probably a bad idea to jump in now... (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 12:30 (1444 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Agreed. Crunch, at least to me, implies deadlines. The crunching of large amounts of work into a smaller than comfortable amount of time. Voluntarily working long hours can have a negative impact on the rest of the team as it sets expectations, sure, but I think calling that crunch is a misnomer.

Yes and no. That's why I brought up what is typically called crunch. Your definition is using an undefinable amount of time. My definition is literally anything past a normal work load. Would I use the term to co-workers? No. But that doesn't mean it isn't still a definition.

I would also like to add that I think wether you are salary vs hourly greatly matters. A vast majority of software engineers are Salary, which usually means that if they work 40 hours or 100 hours a week, they are getting the exact same compensation. So to be asked to work twice as much for the exact same compensation is even worse. Where as hourly, at the very least you are getting paid overtime for your sanity and health. Not saying that is much better, but I thought I would bring it up.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread