Romanticization of the Artist (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 10:17 (1392 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think I have the time or patience to walk through this argument. Suffice to say, this is a pretty big false equivalence in terms of scope, project participants and size of various staging etc.

So then why do we fetishize the suffering of the artist but not of the people solving humanity's toughest challenges?! Or even as Vortech pointed out, the lawyer down the street? Because that person is suffering for sure. Working a long ass time to pay back a big ass loan.

What about the plumber or the electrician, while we're at it? Suffering is the freaking default, dude. One of the most important functions of art is that it helps us better understand our experience or at least helps us assign it meaning. I think we think about artist's suffering because we think about the origins of art, and part of an artist's job is to transfigure suffering. And to create art that does this for humans across time and space is a damn difficult challenge and pretty damn important, too. Your comparisons of these challenges with practical problem-solving involve conflating different kinds of knowledge and making value comparisons between them. That's a little ignorant.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread