You don't understand anything about crunch. (Gaming)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 09:17 (1429 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In theory, I'm a fan of unions. But in general I despise them since the ones in my area and profession are so wildly corrupt that it kills innovation and also drives project costs up tremendously.

But that is the benefit of unions. You elect the leaders. So change it up.

I wish it were that simple. I'm an architect that has to deal with the various trade unions that build the buildings we design. I have no say in their leadership, but I do have to deal with the results from their leaders.

Routinely we have to switch to inferior outdated products because the various unions cannot sort out who should have responsibility for installing a new, better, and cheaper product.

Again, not saying that unions don't have their merits. But in NYC the unions were able to keep black iron ceiling grid requirements because of their pull. This added about $2 per square foot cost to a building when it's not necessary. Modern products achieve all of the same features for less material and labor costs. It's been years since I last worked in New York, so this could have changed. But there are tons of similar examples out there in the construction world.

When trade unions are able to mandate building code requirements then things can become issues. It's no longer about the life, safety, and welfare of the building occupants.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread