The vilest bullshit (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 25, 2020, 21:35 (1393 days ago) @ General Battuta

At the risk of delving into philosophy and chasing away anyone reading this post, I have spent years trying to figure out the knee-jerk negative reaction that so many people have towards artists who become successful. I think I recently figured it out, at least partially. It plays into that old saying that "I don't know how to define art, but I know it when I see it". How. HOW do we know art when we see it. Well I've begun to think that the thing we detect... is sacrifice.

This is one of those lies that kills artists. Stop telling it.

Is there a better word that works—commitment?

Many factors lead to crunch in the video game industry, and part of it is a lack of boundaries and balance, which becomes a way of doing business, and everyone feels the pressure to do the same as everyone else.

On another level i do think art requires you to say no to fun things you would rather do. That could be described as a sacrifice. What it means is that you do the work even though it’s not easy. Hat tip to Stephen Pressfield.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread