I completely agree. But... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, December 05, 2020, 21:15 (1208 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah that was fantastic.

It’s probably still an okay exotic, but those two things I mentioned mean I’ll never use it. ): I guess it’s on me for not actually looking up what it did, but if I had known that I would not have spent over two hours grinding it out this evening.

No, I’m totally with you.

It’s like the sandbox team keeps forgetting that PvP exists, so when they design new abilities they come up with all these crazy powerful things that are whacky fun, but then some tester points out that it utterly destroys the crucible. From there, Bungie either ignores the tester and ships it anyway (stasis), or they make some kind of tweak to prevent it from being too dominant in PvP and utterly suck the fun out of it in the process.

I just wish they’d be smarter about the way they design powers and abilities in general. There are too many abilities in this game that can’t be reliably countered outside of special circumstances. That’s something I’ve always appreciated about games like Splinter Cell or Titanfall... there are ways to counter your opponents’ abilities other than just thinking “gosh, I hope they miss!”. I’m obviously talking about the crucible, but PvE as well. Our guardians move too slowly to effectively dodge most attacks. Bungie’s approach to balancing the various classes seems to be “give each of them abilities that the other classes don’t have” with little or no thought out towards how each subclass might counter the abilities of other subclasses. What defence does a warlock have against a shoulder charge? I wish we had more opportunities to do stuff like the move I managed to pull here at the 9:43 mark where I dodge around his super attack:

Moments like that are so damn amazing, but they so rarely feel possible the way the sandbox is designed.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread